Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Loneliness

Loneliness tends to creep in when we least expect it.  I have had the great pleasure of having my family around the last few weeks; my husband was home because of a surgery, the holidays happened and we usually have family around.

But, when life begins again after the holidays have settled down and we get into our rhythms of life again, loneliness has a way of getting in.  Even the dogs feel the very thing I do.  They aren't much as far as great persons to talk to.  Obviously, they are so much better at listening to us then we even know, but it is just never quite enough.  The TV sure doesn't cut into the dull, empty feelings that come about with time.  It's just white noise, something to distract us from our thoughts.

I sometimes still yearn for the ear of my parents, even though my mom has been gone for a number of years now and my dad is busy with his lady friend and his work (even though he is, technically, retired, and has been for over 10 years!).

I think sometimes we are just as uncomfortable with the familiar as we are the unfamiliar.  Life has it's changes and challenges, but we can never run from loneliness.  I only pray that I can further understand what it will look like for me in a few more years. 

I do have so many thoughts running through my head - How is my younger daughter going to handle her life now that she is single again?  Will my son be something great?  How are others dealing with these same things?  Will my husband be promoted in the near future? and the list goes on.

So, again, I wonder.  Is loneliness forever?  That answer is no.  I'm quite certain of that.  Right now it's just an uncomfortable, unfamiliar friend who comes around for a while and then goes to revisit when we least expect it.

1 comment:

Christopher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.